A guiltless wonder for breakfast, dessert, or on-the-go snack. Leaving you sustained without the empty calories and processed sugar.
My grandma, Mimi, is the pickiest eater ever. She's not much of an eater, and when she does it, its usually not very good for her. She suffers from the common inflammation disorders: Arthritis and heart disease that so may Americans suffer from.
Mimi and I were travelling from LA to NY one afternoon, and I came up with these "Mimi Bars" to give her something super nutritious that we could travel with easily. All the ingredients were carefully thought out to support Mimi's health. Its loaded with fiber and nutrients. But the best part--Mimi loved it! In fact, its now a staple at our family Friday night dinners and my cousins and uncles fight over who gets to take the leftovers home. "Guys, its so simple, make your own!"
Making Mimi bars are incredibly easy. Throw these ingredients into your high-speed blender. Pop that baby in your oven. Total prep time is not more than 10 minutes. You'll be enjoying your guiltless wonder in just under 40minutes. So what are you waiting for?
The secret ingredient here is oat bran. Oat bran has 6 grams of protein (equivalent to protein in one egg), and 7 grams of fiber per 1/3 cup serving. Its gluten free and its super good for you. We all need more fiber in our lives. Here is an delicious way to get it.
- 1 cup of raw organic cashews or raw organic almonds
- 1/4 Cup of organic Goji Berries (antioxidant super food)
- 1 whole banana (use an extra ripe one for extra sweetness)
- 2-3 organic pitted dates (adjust depending on preferred sweetness) OR another ripe banana
- 1 and 3/4 cups oat bran
- 1 -2 teaspoons cinnamon (among the magic power of cinnamon, it helps keeps blood sugar regulated)
- 1 and 1/2 cup of cashew milk or almond milk
- handful of currants, raisins, and sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put nuts in the blender and create a powdered consistency.
- Add all other ingredients into the blender and blend! You may want to hold off on the extra date until you taste the batter. if not sweet enough for you, add another date.
- Place parchment paper on brownie tray and place batter on parchment paper.
- Decorate the top by simply tossing raisins, currants, and sliced almonds on top. You may also sprinkle some extra cinnamon on top.
- Put in oven at 350 for about 30 - 40 min. Put a toothpick in your bar to see when its done, as every oven is different. Top will be slightly browned and toothpick will come out clean.
- Cut into squares when it's cooled and enjoy. These little bites are even better on day two, so make them today, enjoy with friends tomorrow!