If you can boil water, you can make this recipe in ten minutes flat! This is one of my favorite recipes. You won't know you're not eating penne bolognese! It's low carb, and has tons of clean protein and fiber!
The secret is in the pasta and the chorizo. The pasta is made entirely of lentils. How amazing is that? It taste like pasta, cooks like pasta, but keeps your heart healthy like lentils. Quite amazing, actually.
The chorizo is from wheat seitan (so if you are gluten intolerant, you should avoid this, or try crumbled tempeh). I've scoured the supermarket shelves for a seitan that a) doesn't taste like rubber and b) uses natural ingredients. Upton's Natural Seitan makes the cut!
- 2 Cups penne made of beans. I prefer Tolerant Brand.
- 2 Cups Rao's marinara's sauce (or pasta sauce of choice)
- 1/3 Cup olive tapenade or 1/3 cup chopped green and black pasta (you can find this in your local market's olive bar)
- 1 Package chorizo seitan (I used Upton's Natural Chorizo Seitan)
- 4 Large shitake mushrooms, washed and cut up
- 1 TBL Olive oil
- Boil the pasta as directed
- While the pasta is boiling in a separate pan, saute the mushrooms in olive oil until cooked through.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add all other ingredients, except olives. Heat on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add olives and heat for another minute.