Tis the season to not get sick! With the weather outside getting frightful, now's a good time to boost your immune system and stay healthy all season long. So, let the chestnuts roast on an open fire and have yourself a very merry immunity broth!
(Drops mic...) Seriously speaking though, with the holiday's in full effect, taking some "me" time and making some healthy meals can really save you from getting run-down. This super easy immunity broth is definitely a Foolproof Eats you can make in a jiffy with a few ingredients. The onion, garlic and turnips are supercharged foods to strengthen your body's defenses. So bring on the holiday parties!
NUTRITIONAL LOW DOWN
Turnips: Turnips are one of my favorite immune boosters. For only 30 calories each, turnips will go to bat for you! Its a wonderful nutritionally dense food, Turnips are chock full of Vitamin C. Just 2 turnips provide as your daily recommended amount of Vitamin C. [They also contain a plethora of B-vitamins, folate, magnesium, and potassium.]
Onions: Onions have certain phytochemicals that allows vitamin C in your body to work. So the turnips and onion work hand in hand to boost your immune system. This onion and turnips in this broth are the perfect marriage to give your immune system an edge.
- 1.5 onions, chopped (Add more if you wish)
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half (Add more if you wish)
- 3 Turnips (or 4!) washed and peeled.
- 1 TBL Dried basil (or your favorite herb)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 liters of filtered water
- 1/2 half cup of broccoli florets
- Briefly saute onions in a large pot with the olive oil. Olive oil can't handle high heat, so saute for only a few minutes and keep heat lower so it won't smoke or burn.
- Add dried herbs, a pinch of himalayan salt, and garlic cloves.
- Add water and bring to a boil
- Drop turnips in and allow it to boil until turnips become soft (about 30 mins)
- When the broth is done, add in the broccoli florets and allow to cook for another 3 minutes. You don't want the broccoli to get mushy, so 3 minutes is enough time.
This is great the next day and even if cold! Just add some fresh squeezed lemon juice and a dash of himalayan salt.