Time: 10 minutes
Who's excited about Cinco de Mayo? It probably one of my all time favorite holidays. Like Taco Tuesday, but on steroids. What's not to love when you've got margaritas, sombreros, piñatas, and guacamole?
When done right, Mexican food can be one of the most #FASTBEETSAPPROVED meals around.
Whether you're going all out like I will or you just want a Mexican dish that is EASY, TASTY, & SUPER HEALTHY, make these Mighty Mexican Beans.
I made this dish for friends last week and have since got a few phone calls asking for the recipe. I'm laying it all out on here for you and your Cinco do Mayo festivities or just your next Tuesday night...
If Mexican independence isn't your thing, just know that the United Nations made beans (pulses) the food of the year. So drop your quinoa spoon and dig in. The fiber in beans supports your good gut bacteria, it's a great source of plant based protein, and has a plethora of antioxidants. Kinda like your own personal fountain of youth.
Pair it with guac, sauteed peppers and lettuce leaf for an awesome wrap. Enjoy it with the rest of your taco festivities, or just eat it as is. Its really that good.
Since the beans are canned it takes literally no time to put this dish together. When buying canned beans, always purchase ORGANIC & BPA-FREE, and make sure your beans have no additives in them. You can find varieties that are just beans and maybe sea salt. Stay away from the variety with any kind of added fat or oils. You wont need that.
- 1 can of Organic and BPA-free can of refried black beans
- 1 can of Organic and BPA-free can of refried pinto beans
- 1 can of Organic and BPA-free can of pinto beans (do not drain)
- 1 onion
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 3 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 3 teaspoons of paprika
- 3 teaspoons chopped garlic
- (optional) 1-2 teaspoons (or to taste) of chipotle chile powder
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of filtered water
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Add oil to a medium hot pot.
- Add all seasoning to the oil.
- Add onions to pot and saute until soft but not cooked all the way through. (FastTip: You retain more vitamins when the onions are not completely sautéed and will retain some crunch.)
- All the rest of the ingredients to the pot and still until it reaches desired consistency. Add more water or seasoning if it needs it.
Thanks for making this! I would love it see how it turns out. Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @fastbeets so I can see your #fastbeetsapproved healthy creation! Any questions on it? Message me on Snapchat.