You know those days when you're craving BBQ but your brain is going "no, please, dear god, just eat a salad!"? Theres a super easy fix for that. The best of both worlds in just five minutes flat! Your brain, body and taste buds will simultaneously rejoice!
Grab a can of fat-free refried black beans (organic, non-bpa of course, ingredients should be black beans and sea salt). Open it. Put as much as you'd like in bowl. Add to that a tablespoon of flax seed oil, a dash or two of chipotle chill powder, and a tablespoon or two of your favorite low calorie, bbq sauce (the kind without high-fructose corn syrup and good quality ingredients). Mix it up.
Then throw some pre-chopped kale on top. Add a couple dashes of balsamic vinegar, liquid aminos, and yellow mustard. Mix mix mix. Thats it. Now eat.
If you have some more time on your hands, and some extra ingredients in your fridge, toss them in. This would be great with tomatoes, avocados, corn, and tortilla strips. Have fun with it.
The Nutritional Low Down
Make them refried black beans and I'm in heaven. Nutritionally, they are filled with vitamins and minerals, but they're a great source of protein and fiber. When you get them canned, you take the work out of the meal making process, without sacrificing the nutritional benefits. However, you must get organic and BPA-free. Just read the ingredients and make sure there is no added junk or too much salt.
You really just can't get too much.
Flax seed oil
This is one of the cleanest sources of Omega 3s you're going to get. Your body needs a balance of Omegas 3,6, and 9. Omega 6 and 9 are ubiquitous in our food supply but not omega 3. In order to reduce our body's inflammation, a good source of omega 3 is needed.
Adding it to your fat-free beans, is such an easy way to incorporate it to your meal.
How to take the 5 minute bbq to lunch
NOTE: You're going to have to devote a whole 4 minutes in the morning --so brush your teeth fast!
Do the directions as is. But use a mason jar or to-go box instead of a bowl. Don't mix it until you're ready to eat. Then proceed to eat when hunger strikes.
Should you want to mix it up ahead of time. Go for it. Pre-mixing it allows the flavors to blend better. Just know that you're kale will be slightly wilted. I like my kale on the wilted side as opposed to the tough side, so its your personal preference.
- 1/2 a can of fat-free refried black beans (organic, non-bpa) or as much as you'd like
- Dash or two of chipotle chili powder (Can substitute any chili powder you have or enjoy the most)
- Tablespoon flax seed oil
- 1-2 cups Kale
- Tablespoon liquid aminos or to taste (can substitute salt here, but the liquid aminos are yummy)
- Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 squirts of Yellow mustard
- Squirt of your favorite organic BBQ sauce
- OPTIONAL: Avocado, corn, tomatoes and tortilla chip strips
- Open can of beans and add to bowl (or mason jar if taking to lunch)
- Mix flaxseed oil and chili powder to beans
- Add Kale
- Throw liquid aminos, balsamic vinegar, bbq sauce, and mustard on top.
- If you're taking this to lunch, stop now and close mason jar.
- Mix it all up.
- Eat it and let me know how it came out!